Thameslink

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
spoogie37
Zone 1

Thameslink

Post by spoogie37 »

I noticed the other day that West Hampstead to Kentish Town on Thameslink only takes four minutes - might be a useful connection to the Barnet branch. The drawback of course is that somehow you'd have to get to the bit of the Jubilee line between Baker Street and Finchley Road somehow.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

This is one of the little gems I discovered a while back - not sure utlimately how useful it would actually be, but you *could* get off at West Hampstead on the way back into town from Stanmore, nip over to Kentish Town, and later on do the North side of the Circle, using the Met Line, staying on until Finchley Road, then quickly doubling back onto the Jubilee heading South.

But if we carry on like this we'll all be giving away our secrets. Not that I've got any particularly good ones, as I've not done anything decent in terms of anything coming close to a record....
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

The drawback with that is that you have to actually use a Thameslink train. Woebetide you!!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

<pedanticwanker>First Capital Connect</pedanticwanker>
Which means there are some rather hideous purple stickers on the trains, and in around 25 years I'll be able to go to Wimbledon from Bowes Park without changing.

Ain't rail franchising wonderful?
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

They're still the old Thameslink trains... the two I had the displeasure of being trapped in last week still had all the old Thameslink posters and that. I can't wait until they replace them. Or can I? Will I ever have to travel on this, the most shitty of all lines, ever again?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Count yourself lucky - I use it every day ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Its the horrible grinding sound i cant stand. Kings Cross to London Bridge has never taken longer in my whole life than on tube strike days.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

That's because there is a 20mph speed limit, plus they give priority to the South Eastern trains from Charing Cross.

Member of sweet FA
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

^ Note that this is because the SE trains are nicer and deserve to go first.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Same as Gunnersbury to Richmond.

If a District train and a NLL train are approaching Gunnersbury Junction southbound, the signalman will always let the NLL train go first.

Member of sweet FA
travelpass
Zone 2

Post by travelpass »

I am no stranger to Thameslink (or First Capital Connect), so I try to use Midland Mainline from Bedford where I can.

I'll still call the service "Thameslink" for a while, because even though I was down in the area the other week (after the changeover), they still referred to half of the services at Luton Airport PW as Thameslink Cityflier Services.

I do hope First improve the Thameslink trains...I mean they can't make them any worse(Having a table in first class is not what I'd call a bonus)...although since taking over our trains they have cut down the magazine from a 40 odd page affair to a 4 page joke, and put the prices of the onboard catering up by about 300%! :shock:

Also since taking over our busses (several years ago now) they have just become so bad that you might aswell make up your own timetable and hope for the best, cos they sure as hell don't come when they say they will. :evil:
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I read their "dossier" at a station, and if they can improve services then great, but I don't see evidence of it so far.

I did use to use Thameslink from London Bridge to Brighton and vice-versa (but never beyond London Bridge! *shudder*) but stick to Southern now - it's faster and the trains are a lot nicer. Only problem is that Victoria is an arse of a station to depart from, especially the furthest platforms.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
travelpass
Zone 2

Post by travelpass »

I was once on a TL Train and a woman cut her legs on the seat because as soon as she sat down, it lifted up and the cushioned but fell off. I was sitting opposite her, and had a similar thing happen to me when i had sat down at the previous station.

I find that the lack of even a small table in most of the standard class seating, and even a catering service is terrible. The lack of any kind of information regarding the journey (i.e. next stop, where the train is going, stops still to go till the destination) and a total lack of catering is also something I find depressing when using them.

All of these things are pretty much standard on about 99% (and the 1% without the catering are late night or early morning services) of Scotrail servcies, and were even there before First took over.

One thing about Thameslink though, they did ahve a great deal for people going to from London/Brighton (kids for £1) and the Flyaway deal for Luton and Gatwick. I hope FCC re-introduce the airport deal (£50 open return for up to 4 people from any station to either airport) as I am due to travel from Bedford-Gatwick this summer with my freinds and the total cost (even with YPRC) is way more than the old £50 deal.

Listen to me, I onyl used TL a handful of times a year and even I didn't like them. :roll:
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Im guessing none of you have ever had the pleasure of going on Wagn then- personally i find it even shittier than Thameslink
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

It's close, but WAGN gives you more on-train information and comfort. Just.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings